Puts Down a Wild Hog
Putting down an aggressive hog (400 lbs) doesn’t require a heavy caliber rifle. Check out Youtuber Jim Thomas as he displays excellent markmanship while taking down a 400 pound wild hog.
What is surprising is that Jim was only using a subsonic .22LR bullet. To be exact he was sporting a suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifle equipped with an ATNX-Sight for night vision. Like a seasoned hunter Jim waited for the hogs to show and loitering at the bait area.
From 50 yards away Jim spots the big hog among others that had been giving them problems on his property in the past.
With great skills Jim puts a .22 round into the temple of the hog and puts it down on the spot. This story isn’t an advertisement on Ruger 10/22, but they do make awesome 22 rifles.
The main focus is on sound marksmanship, so be sure to practice and be safe.
Is the subsonic .22 ammo quiet?Heres some gee whiz information if you didn’t know about the subsonic. Without getting into the scientific details, most gun experts say that subsonic ammor is not only quiet but more accurate at close range due to no turbulance from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.
Is subsonic ammo quieter?
Subsonic cartridges produce less noise than full velocity rounds. However, your rifle will still go bang and the quieter ammo will not have the punch to knock down the bigger game. (Just thought that was a neat thing to share)
Types of 22LR Ammo
- Hollow Point or Round Nose: If you are plinking, target shooting or hunting for fun, round nose or ballistic rounds are generally preferred.
- Subsonics: Subsonic rounds are rounds that do not break the sound barrier. Most of the 22lr ammo is subsonics.
- Shotshells: Shotshells are a special type of 22LR ammunition that mostly used for hunting & target sports.
- CCI Stinger: Introduced in 1976, the CCI Stinger brought .22lr ammo to an entirely new level. These are the great little hunting rounds with higher velocity and hollow points. Remington Thunderbolt:Remington Thunderbolts are the best 22lr rounds for the lower budget. It is inexpensive, very effective and deadly accurate with simple round-nosed and waxed 40-grain lead bullet.
- Federal Automatch: Whether you need 22lr ammo for plinking. targets and competition and training you will get accurate, affordable performance with Federal Automatch. Accurate, consistent and reliable to get the best shooting experience.
- CCI Standard Velocity: CCI Standard Velocity 22 LR ammunition is ideal for plinking or competition training. Loaded to the same velocity as CCI Green Tag & Pistol Match ammo. CCI Standard Velocity 22 Long Rifle features a 40 grain Lead Round Nose bullet with a subsonic of 1070 ft/sec.
- Eley Tenex Match: ELEY tenex the world’s most consistently accurate .22LR cartridge. This cartridge benefits from the patented flat nose profile and the cut mouth case delivering consistent internal ballistics performance.