Man Survives Bear Attack but Loses Face


Wes Perkins was the luckiest man to walk the earth, this guy survived the most gruesome bear attack ever.
The bear attack was so horrific, hard to look at or to think about.
The following is a story from Anchorage Daily News about survival, incredible willpower, and how the unbelievable can become the truth.

Wes Perkins is from Alaska, and he knows how lucky he is.
Life is good, but it will never be the same after the unfortunate bear attack that nearly cost him his life.
After 26 surgeries and more than $1 million accumulated in medical expenses later, Wes is getting along. He’s not the man he once was, but he’s still very appreciative to be alive.

According to Anchorage Daily News,

Buy bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

“Wes Perkins is whole in body and still badly disfigured. There is no gentle way to describe his condition. Doctors had to use part of his fibula to create a jaw to replace what the bear ripped off of his face. He still has a tube in his throat. His left eye, which sees only light and dark, weeps constantly. And probably worst of all, for a man who always loved to talk, he is now hard to understand because he speaks with only half a tongue.”

So how did this nightmare of situation come about? It was essentially a bear hunt gone bad, a routine and pleasant hunt that took a turn for the worse when Perkins came across the wrong bear at the wrong time.

Rather than fleeing like most usually do, the bear fed into it’s fighting instinct, as it likely felt threatened. It turned out to be bad news for Perkins.

Perkins, who is a trained paramedic, recalls the attack vividly. He was quoted in the interview with Anchorage Daily News:

“I had to dig stuff out of (my) airway to breathe,” he wrote. “If I was unconscious, I would have died. Also, (as) long as I lay still just right I was able to keep my airway open. I could not move my face sideways or my airway would close. I know if I lost consciousness, I would probably die. So I stayed alert all the way (to Nome), and I could squeeze the hands of my two partners when they asked me questions.”

His partners were Dan Stang, a Nome dentist, and his son, Edward, a student in dentistry school at the time. They shot the 8-foot-tall, 13-year-old grizzly bear off of Perkins, which was the first action made that lead to survival of Wes. That act was accompanied by many others that have allowed Perkins to carry on with life.

And that is the amazing part of this story. A team effort and incredible will power of a human to survive is what helped create this rescue and survival of epic proportions.

Here’s more from the Anchorage Daily News,

Even as the Stangs began life-saving first aid, they were radioing for help from Nome, a community far from anywhere at the tip of the Seward Peninsula jutting into the sea closer to Russia than Anchorage, the urban hub of the 49th state.

Perkins’ brother Nate made the radio call. He didn’t call Alaska State Troopers and wait for others to act. He pretty much single-handedly organized a rescue to lift his brother from the wilderness of the Kigluaik Mountains, about 30 miles east of this small community. “Ace chopper pilot Ben Rowe saved his life,” Nate said at the time, but Rowe was only one of the many who combined to save then 54 year old Wes. Rowe was in the air only minutes after taking a phone call from Nate. As he flew, others were rolling into action, too.

Wes, the Survivor
Wes is getting along as best as he can.

Four months after the attack, Wes is able to get around on his own, but is far from being back to life as he knew it. Everything he consumes comes from a blender now, but its better than being underground. Every day is a day of improvement, and medical staff members are still working on getting him back to his best state.

The detail and information found inside this story will blow your mind. Some of it is extremely gruesome and vivid. “Extraordinary” and “incredible” are the only two words fitting enough to describe the miracle that happened.

Wes wants everyone to be careful, and to remember wild animals are not your friends. They are not good or bad, they are simply wild animals, and that is something to be remembered.

“Some think I was taking pictures,” he wrote. “I did not know the bear was 69 feet away in a snow cave. I would not get 69 feet from a bear in the zoo.

“I had a camera in my pocket, snowgo jacket. So when I stopped, I thought the bear was ahead of me. We saw it had been running. So I stopped to take camera out of pocket and put it in my dash bag as I could shoot the gun.”

The bear attacked as he was doing that.

“I turned and saw the bear, full charge,” he wrote. “I only had time to say, ‘Oh shit!’ But I got (my) gun 1/2 way off my back . . . When I turned around, the bear was that close. I had no time to do anything. Nine steps from 69 feet, according to Fish and Game. Big bear.”

Perkins, who spent his life in Alaska, has a fair bit of experience around grizzlies, but added, “I never had one hide like this one!” What followed after it burst from a snow cave has been an experience he couldn’t imagine in his worst nightmares.

Sources: Anchorage Daily News


Colorado man survives bear attack in his kitchen

by David Williams

A Colorado man knew something was wrong when he heard a commotion early Friday morning in the Aspen house where he’s staying with his kids.
“I laid in bed thinking, ‘I really hope this isn’t a bear,'” Dave Chernosky told CNN. “I figured it probably was, but I was sure hoping for something else once I got into the kitchen.”

He said the large black bear, estimated at about 400 pounds, was standing at the refrigerator when he walked in the room. The animal had opened drawers and cabinets and thrown stuff around.
He was able to keep the kitchen island between them and then tried to coax the bear into the garage to get it outside.

The plan seemed to work, but Chernosky said the bear got spooked when he hit the garage door opener, and it came back in the house. Chernosky went to make sure that it didn’t wander down the stairs to where his 12-year-old twins were sleeping. That’s when he encountered the bear face-to-face. “We looked at each other, and he just smacked me in the side of the head and spun me around and got me again on the back,” Chernosky said. “I literally heard it crack on my head. A bear paw is not soft and cushy.” He was bleeding heavily from cuts to his forehead and neck, but was able to scramble away and scream at the bear to leave. “I just knew if he didn’t leave I was in big trouble,” Chernosky said. “But fortunately, he was done at that point and just left.”
Officials with Colorado Parks and Wildlife were able to track down the bear and euthanize it. They’ll test samples from the bear and the house to make sure they got the right animal.
“Based on the direct and clear trail that tracking dogs quickly followed, along with the physical description of the bear from witnesses, we’re certain that we got the offending animal,” said Area Wildlife Manager Matt Yamashita in a statement. “We never like to have to put an animal down but the protection of the public is paramount once a bear begins entering homes and responding aggressively toward people.”

Officials said it matched the description of a bear that had been seen in the neighborhood for several days. It may have been the same bear that’s been reported raiding trash cans in the area and evading capture for the past couple of years.
It’s unclear how the bear got in the house, but Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton told CNN affiliate KMGH that the front door had a lever handle, which are easier for bears to open.
This was the first bear attack in Aspen this year, according to the statement. The three bear attacks in the area in 2019 all occurred outdoors.
Chernosky said he feels lucky as he recovers from his wounds, adding that doctors told him the bear’s claws just missed his eye and his carotid artery.

The Bolt-Action Rifle from a Dead German Soldier

Stolen During The Great Depression

Article by Frank Jardim

George Irish was an independent-minded man. In 1917, he was 25 years old. He made a living as a jack-of-all-trades in Summers, Conn., just across the border from Massachusetts. He wasn’t married and America had just become involved in what became know as World War I.
He volunteered for the army. He was assigned to an artillery unit and trained in the Midwest before crossing the Atlantic in an improvised troop ship. In France, he didn’t work the guns, instead he kept the doughboys who labored over them fed. He was a muleskinner, and his job was to drag loads of artillery ammunition and supplies across the open barrage, along swept roads and paths, from the supply dumps to the front-line artillery positions.

It was hard work hitching up the mule team and driving the animals through the shell-torn terrain and digging out the wagons when they got stuck in the mud. Mules cannot take cover, and if they were killed or wounded by shell splinters or machine gun barrages or poison gas, he had to calm the other animals and unhitch the casualties so the supplies could move on.

Gas attacks were especially miserable. First he had to put on his own mask, and then try as fast as he could with limited vision through cloudy eyepieces to get them on mules. It was not glorious work, only hard and dangerous.
On one trip over recently taken ground, he saw a dead German officer in a shell hole. By that time, he was no stranger to the dead. What caught his attention was the officer’s beautiful sniper rifle. It was a custom-made bolt action with dual-set triggers and a telescopic sight, in a European caliber unfamiliar to him.
He recovered the rifle and all the ammunition the officer had on him, and stowed it on his wagon. If he got home, it would be a fine and very practical souvenir. Though the Germans never got him, the Spanish flu that killed millions worldwide in 1918 almost did. He spent three days sick in bed but recovered.

After the armistice, he mustered out in Springfield, Mass., and with his helmet, gas mask and the finest hunting rifle he would ever own, walked the 30 miles back to his home town. He wore out his uniform and boots working in the year that followed, and he hunted with the fine rifle to put food on the table.
Bulk Ammo In-Stock
He was an excellent shot, and the ammunition he’d taken from the officer lasted him into the 1930s. Unfortunately, during the Great Depression, someone broke into the mountainside cabin he’d built for himself and his wife, and stole the rifle. I wish I could see that rifle, but it’s been gone a long time.

The greater prize is really knowing who George Irish, Sr. was. There have been few like him before or since. He lived into his early 90s, outliving his wife who was 20 years his junior. All but his last few years were spent in the home he’d built into the side of the mountain that never had running water, indoor plumbing or electricity.
These amenities were things he never felt he particularly needed. He grew his own food, and when his legs could no longer carry him up the hillside to his garden, he dragged himself with his hands. He was the kind of man who was so remarkably tough and talented, it is hard for modern Americans to have a frame of reference to appreciate it.

Trespassers: beware of Paintball

Checkout this trespassing hunter encounters an improvised booby trap.
The video below displays a creative way of fending off a trespassing hunter. The property owner rigged up a tripwire attached to a paint bomb. Once triggered the paint sprays all over the trespasser.

The uploader commented that it was a video captured by her mother’s boyfriend, which tells us it was likely a legitimate trespassing situation. Anyone who was allowed to hunt the property would have known about the tripwire, we presume.

Be warned: the clip includes some graphic language. You’d probably swear too if you realized you’d just been busted.

The trespassing hunter spoke out in an interview with Deer and Deer Hunting.

Details about the incident were made clear, and thanks to the article and investigative work from Deer and Deer Hunting’s editor Dan Schmidt, we now know that it occurred in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

Leroy Ogin, 73, told Deer and Deer Hunting that he had traveled that same path for over 60+ years to his hunting spot, which was an old logging road. He did not intend on hunting on the property.

He claimed to have never had an issue with the landowner, and was never asked to refrain from traveling through what he acknowledged was private property.

Ogin also explained that the device that blasted him with paint was connected to an airbag mechanism, which triggered a switch tied to a suspended wire.

“I thought I was shot with a gun,” Ogin told D&DH. He also said the paint, which was red, ruined his hunting apparel, hat and gun.

Trespassing charges for Ogin have been documented by the state, and will most likely be dismissed after a six month holding period with no further incidents.

The landowner, 53-year-old Michael Condoluci, was also contacted by D&DH, and via email contradicted Ogin’s claim. “Just have to say he was warned about trespassing before,” he told D&DH.

Interestingly enough, Condoluci was also infracted for criminal mischief and criminal harassment, according to D&DH and the district court office in Luzerne County. His charges will also be dropped after six months, as long as no other charges are given.

What do you think? Is this an effective method in thwarting folks from coming onto private property, or is it out of line?

Here’s some of the conversation taking place about this video:

by E Pickartz
Source: Felicia Marie Youtube, Deer and Deer Hunting

Prepper Builds Underwater Cache

Rodney Dial lives in Ketchikan. The former U.S. Army Ranger appeared on National Geographic Channel’s Doomsday Preppers last season and has spent most of the profits from his tattoo parlor to protect his wife, Lisa, and daughter, Megan, from a potentially massive earthquake and tsunami (most of Southeast Alaska sits on the Ring of Fire). Dial, an experienced diver, has a tankless, solarpowered scuba system and has hidden many of his emergency supplies underwater, in part to prevent possible looting.

He also has a customized but street-legal tank he calls the “WarMachine.” We caught up with Dial and got a detailed look at his operation:
Chris Cocoles Was there an event in your life that prompted you to decide to do this?

Rodney Dial I am a life long Alaskan and remember being told at a young age of how my family was involved in the (Anchorage) Good Friday Earthquake in 1964. My grandmother was working in the downtown JC Penney Building that collapsed. It was a memorable moment for my family that stressed the importance of being self-sufficient in an emergency situation. Growing up,my family learned how to harvest local resources, prepare for disasters and become familiar with the Alaskan environment.

CC Would you call prepping a passion or obsession?

RD Some would probably see our level of prepping an obsession, but for us it is just good family planning.We are concerned that too many Americans and even some Alaskans are becoming too“soft.”(They’re) relying on someone to save them in an emergency, expecting water to always flow out of the tap or electricity to always be on. Many people have never experienced any real hardships in life and, for some reason, believe they never will. We find that method of thinking dangerous and potentially a life endangering gamble. In essence we see prepping as the duty of every good American/Alaskan.

CC Has your Army Ranger career and diving background been a big aid in your prepping ability?

RD My Ranger training and subsequent Jungle Expert Certification pushed my boundaries as a young man and made me realize that with proper planning and the right mindset, I could survive in any environment. Tobe certified as a U.S.Army Jungle Expert I received training in the jungles of Panama and had to survive for three weeks with the supplies I carried on my back. My 24 years of diving experience have given me a unique ability to obtain significant resources in an area most people are unable to access. This allows a constant ability to provide food and other resources for my family.

CC You spent a lot of time in Central American jungles. Can you share some of that experience?

RD In 1985 I joined the U.S Army and became an Army Ranger. I did several deployments in Central America, including Honduras and Panama. As a Ranger, we were expected to jump in (parachute) into remote locations with only the supplies on our back,be able to complete missions, survive and return. In Honduras and Panama the focus was preparation for a guerilla style war in a jungle environment.

CC Does it take a creative mind to figure out the best ways to protect your family from a major catastrophe?

RD To some degree a creative mind is important to identify risks that a family may face in an emergency and unique ways to prepare. Of more importance however, is knowledge; the knowledge of how to prepare and provide the basics to support life. For example, the woods and ocean around Ketchikan are filled with plants and animals that can be harvested to provide food. Without that knowledge a person could starve in an emergency or eat something poisonous.

CC Your “WarMachine” is insane. Do you take pride in that vehicle like an owner of a classic car would?

RD War Machine is like a member of our family – we take care of it and know that someday it may take care of us. We look at it this way: in any protracted emergency, no matter how well a person has prepared, there will ultimately be a need to obtain some critical item or resupply; perhaps it’s something as simple as antibiotics. In that moment, you can expect that many other individuals will also have resupply needs, some far more desperate than you. People in a life-or-death survival situation can become dangerous and unpredictable. War Machine will help assure that when we have the need to resupply we will not be an easy target for those who would contemplate violence towards us as a means of their own survival. War Machine is a constant work in progress. In the near future we will be repainting the vehicle in an urban camouflage pattern, adding communication devices and other protective upgrades.

cc Do you and your family travel much or do you stay mostly around Ketchikan, just in case?

RD We do not travel much and use nearly all available discretionary funds to improve our self-sufficiency.

CC Iwould guess a nAlaska earthquake similar to the 1964 Anchorage quake your family lived through, would be more worried about an ensuing tsunami than the actual quake given what those waves have done in other parts of the world?

RD We agree.Our current home is located over 200 feet above sea level and the home foundation is anchored to bedrock. Since Ketchikanis a coastal community, the concern is that a tsunami could damage our ports and ability to receive supplies from the outside world. For the show we proved a “proof of concept” that we could store and recover supplies cached underwater. We have refined that process and now store supplies in bays and protected waterways largely protected from the areas a tsunami would likely affect. We use GPS coordinates to mark the supply cashes in case a tsunami were to obliterate terrain features used to identify drop locations. We also assure that our supplies are deep enough to be protected from the surge of a tsunami.

CC In watching the show, is your daughter, Megan, who seemed a little unimpressed with your planning, coming around to what you are trying to accomplish?

RD Megan, like most children, has lived a comfortable life and it is difficult to convince her of the need to prepare. She has however, been exposed to far more survival information than the average child her age. We feel confident that she has the knowledge necessary to identify local resources she could obtain in an emergency situation. As she grows older we hope to involve her more in the prepping process.

CC Talk about the four P’s you have targeted in terms of prepping:plan,prepare,position and provide. What are the challenges each of those variables throw at you when trying to prep for something catastrophic?

RD The greatest challenge for most people who are new to prepping is knowledge and money. Knowledge is the most important and only takes effort. We were able to obtain significant knowledge on the natural food sources by just asking local native elders. Our current efforts harvesting and processing devils club are a prime example. Knowledge is free in most cases and just takes effort to seek it out. Knowledge will allow you to plan and prepare. “Position and providing” requires money inmost cases and can present difficulties for some in reaching an acceptable level of security in a short amount of time. When money is tight, I recommend that people take small,but constant steps to improve their survival abilities, such as saving one can of food per week or one other action item as funds allow.

CC What was your experience like on Doomsday Preppers?

RD Our experience on Doomsday Preppers was challenging, but very rewarding. In a way it was a full-scale drill for our family, putting to use the skills we have learned and, at the same time, identifying areas we needed to improve. After the filming we reevaluated our family disaster plan and identified several areas for improvement. We have worked on improving our family skills and supplies ever since.

CC Do you hope the show has opened people’s eyes about the idea that you should be prepared for whatever curve balls are thrown your way?

RD One of the great things about Doomsday Preppers is that it is forcing people to think about thewhat if’s and realizing that some level of family preparedness is a good thing. Not all of the potential disasters prepared for on the show will apply to all people; however, something positive can be learned from every episode.

CC Is it important for anyone, even if they don’t go the measures you’ve taken to be prepared, to just have some kind of plan in place, even if it’s a simple plan?

RD We really feel that it is the duty of every American to have at least a minimum capacity to survive some unknown(incident), for at least 72 hours. A person’s failure to plan will likely endanger others who may be tasked with risking their lives to save them.

CC You’ve mentioned Alaskans are always preppers of some degree. Is that a case of you have to be hearty and resourceful to make it in your state? And you can’t afford to not be prepared for the unexpected?

RD The Alaskan mindset seems more independent than our fellow Americans in the Lower 48. The high cost of living has also helped spur Alaskans to become more self-sufficient, from something as simple as knowing how to hunt/fish or even harvest wood to heat their home. Most of my friends and neighbors have enough supplies to survive for several weeks and the ability to defend their homes if needed.

CC You seem like a level-headed guy. Do your friends and neighbors think you’re a little eccentric?

RD Probably, although we have always felt that most Alaskans are preppers by Lower 48 standards. Most Alaskans I know have enough food and water to survive for at least a month or two and have some knowledge of the local environment. War Machine probably is seen as a little intense by some; however, you know you live in a great state when your community doesn’t have a problem with you owning and driving a tank down Main Street. Only in Alaska!

In the video below prepper Rodney Dial briefly explains his method of hiding his survival cache underwater, obviously locations are marked only he knows where its at.

Video Transcription
Rodney: “I’ve a plan to hide caches my preps in a place no-one would ever think to look.”
Rodney:”I’m building underwater caches for my preps, so when the *bleep* hits [the] fan, no-one will ever find ’em.”
Rodney:”We wanna keep caches under the water because it’s ultra-secure location Best place to put something you don’t want others to find.”
Man:”You ready?”
Rodney:”Yeah!” [welding]
Rodney: “Alright, here we go, moment of truth, huh?.”
Man: “Yup. So far so good” “Seems to be holding”
Rodney: “Yeah look at that! Good job!”
Woman: “So we’re at fifteen so far.”
Woman:”We’re at fifteen.”
Rodney: “That’s perfect, here we go!”
Rodney: “ok this is perfect, no-one’s going to be able to come out and get a hundred-fifty pound tube a minimum of thirteen-fourteen feet underwater.”
Rodney: “So basically, if we find that and walk straight out, we’re gonna be able to find this tube.”
Rodney: “Ok help me lift it up.”
Megan: “How much does this thing weigh?”
Rodney: “It’s about a hundred and fifty pounds right now. Ok, ok there we go. Alright! Ok here we go Megan!”
Rodney:”That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout!”

Rodney: “I’m not a quitter, this family doesn’t give up. So if that makes this weird, well then we’re weird. But you know what? We’re gonna be the people that are gonna come to when the *bleep* hits the fan, or when things get really bad.”

Story by Chris Cocoles – AmSJ Photos from National Geographic
Video Transcribed by Sam Morstan

Armed while Fishing

Carrying a weapon on the rivers and lakes is a personal decision; here’s why one Northwest angler brings along a handgun when he’s chasing steelhead and salmon.

I used to never think about packing a gun while fishing. I never had a reason to until several years back while out on the Green River alone. This would change my opinion on carrying a gun, and it still lingers in my mind some 15 years afterwards. I was wandering back to one of my “secret” holes, one I’d discovered as a teenager and had never, ever seen another angler or trace of another human at since the early 1980s. I’d only shown it to two of my fishing partners, both of whom were sworn to secrecy and who knew I’d disown them if word ever got out.

I was 20 minutes into the usual 30-minute hike on animal trails when a person appeared from nowhere. I literally almost jumped out of my waders.

The dude, who looked strung out and definitely not a fellow fisherman, asked, “Hey, you got some smokes?”

“Nope, I don’t smoke,” I said.

“Do you have any money?”

“Nope, I’m fishing.”

“I need some money!”

“Sorry, I can’t help you.”

“Dude, you don’t understand, I need money.”

“Sorry, can’t help you,” I said, and walked by him.

Was I scared? Yes, sh*tless!

I reached my fishing hole but couldn’t get the thought that he was stalking me out of my mind, or that I would meet up with him again on the way back to my vehicle. Neither scenario materialized, but afterwards I drove straight to a gun shop and purchased my first self-defense weapon. Now, if I’d been packing and ran into the guy, would I have drawn my weapon? No – I did not feel my life was threatened.

Would I have felt more comfortable? Hell, yes! Should my life have become threatened, I would have had the tools and knowledge available to use them. From that point on I realized that the outdoors aren’t just filled with friendly fellow anglers and hunters. There are also tweakers and criminals out there.

I PICK WHEN to carry. If I’m alone, you can count on me being armed. If I’m with friends, it all depends. Drift boat or with a guide? Nope, I don’t see a need. Banking it? Yep, usually gonna be packing. And that brings me to another incident.

Once, while on the Calawah River in Forks, I’d been fishing with a buddy and we decided to split up. I fished from the mouth up, while he went from the ponds down. Only about a quarter mile up the river I watched two anglers drift fishing a hole. To me, the hole was meant for a float and jig. I watched and conversed with the pair for about 10 minutes, then decided to ask if I could throw my float out.

First cast and it was “Fish on!” The dude who had been fishing the hardest was pissed off, to say the least.

“WTF … You SOB, come into my hole and steal my fish! I oughta kick your ass!”

Not wanting to cause any problems, I told the guy to take my rod. “Here, you reel it in,” I said. The guy was furious, though his buddy was cracking up, saying, “Dude, you got freaking schooled!”

To me, the fish wasn’t worth it. But instead of accepting my offer, the duo left, leaving me fighting the steelhead, which turned out to be a nice 10-pound native that I let go. Did I feel a need to let them know I was armed? No. Was I glad that I was? Yes.

THERE ARE DANGEROUS people out in the woods, and nobody knows that better than Northwest game wardens. You may recall the July 2010 issue’s Big Pic feature on marijuana growers invading Northwest hunting grounds. And the September 2010 Dishonor Roll, which highlighted felons and others with outstanding warrants that Oregon and Washington fish and wildlife police encounter afield. The latter featured one particular license check that nearly ended up very badly.

WDFW Deputy Chief Mike Cenci described it this way:

“The small cluster of cars near the bridge over lower Crab Creek in Grant County caught Capt. Chris Anderson’s attention. He and Officer Chad McGary had been on their way to focus some attention on illegal nighttime sturgeon fishing in the Columbia. It was about 8:30 p.m. What was a few minutes spent checking this group first? ESA-listed fish use this waterway and a little overt presence never hurt to remind people that any salmonids they might catch should be released. Little did Chad and Chris know that a simple license and bag check would result in nearly getting killed.

“Walking down the rocky bank, Chris found a man and his son doing what most fathers and sons should be doing, spending time together. But this was no ordinary father-son duo. The father, a man without words, silently produced his fishing license as requested. The son, who was still fishing, claimed that his license was at home in his wallet. No problem, Chris told him the officers would be able to check license status with their laptop computers. Chris decided to walk across the road to the other side of the creek and check a few anglers there, while Chad dealt with the kid with the forgotten license.

“Chad followed the 18-year-old up the bank to check on a license that probably did not exist, an act that he had done a hundred times before. As they walked, a metal-on-metal clinking sound put Chad’s radar up. ‘What’s in your pocket?’ he asked. The son turned around quickly and began reaching for his back pocket with his right hand. Trained in officer safety to control a suspect’s hands, Chad moved to stop him. The reaction from the kid came as a surprise, shoving Chad

“Chad regained his footing, just in time to find himself staring into the muzzle of a .45-caliber handgun. The familiar but sickening sound of the slide being racked back to chamber a bullet, followed by the kid spitting out the words ‘Motherf%%$,’ cemented the seriousness of the situation.”

As it turned out, the father and son were both illegal aliens, according to Cenci, and the father was wanted on an unrelated felony warrant. They had several reasons not to want to be detained – including a Class C felony for being an alien in possession of a firearm, according to Cenci.

But what about those of us who are legally packing – how should we deal with a license check?

“Given the inspection-oriented nature of much of our work, we really never know whether a person is harboring a problem that may turn into an officer-safety issue,” Cenci says. “While our officers are great with people, there is always that element of the unknown that can make us uneasy, especially if we don’t understand someone’s behavior, which there may be a reasonable explanation for. So, letting the officer know right away (you’re carrying) is great. We appreciate and support personal defense and are fairly comfortable around firearms, provided we know where they are. Someone who lets an officer know he/she is packing is not likely to do that if they intend harm.”

HUMANS ARE ONE thing. Animals are another, and wildlife encounters may warrant packing for personal protection.

When I first started carrying, it was suggested I go with a .45 for stopping power, as a 9mm would pass through a hyped-up two- or four-legged predator without stopping them. With today’s enhancements to ammunition, this no longer seems the case. I’ve traded my .45 for a Walther PPS 9mm and feel more confident with this gun than ever before. Ballistics prove the new 9mm loads will stop an intruder with a well-placed round just as effectively as a .45. The key to me is getting off the second and third round faster and more accurately than I could with the .45 because of the added recoil.

Now, while most 9mms and .45s might thwart a cougar or small bear, don’t think they are the answer while in big-bruin country – especially grizzly. While fishing Southeast Alaska’s Situk River for steelhead in April with a couple of great friends, Mike Zavadlov and Steve Turner, we happened to see a huge sow downriver. We settled back in the drift boat while looking for cubs.

Sure enough, cub No. 1 and cub No. 2 scooted across the river and the sow soon followed. Having thought we’d given them enough time to move off we proceeded cautiously downriver. But suddenly the woods came alive – there was a third cub that had not yet crossed all the way! The mama bear smashed through small trees and raced towards the river, snot and spit billowing from her jowls. Thankfully for us it was a fake charge – just enough to get No. 3 safely up on shore.

Although we had a shotgun and bear spray, we all knew nothing would have stopped her. If she had wanted us, we were gone.
Do I wish I’d been packing that time? No, as I don’t believe it would have made a difference. Even a .45 would have bounced right off her big old head, pissing her off even more. Indeed, packing does not rectify every situation.

THE MOST TROUBLE I’ve had while packing has always been the how. I packed my .45 with a shoulder holster. While I knew it was there, it was incredible bulky and not the easiest to draw under heated conditions. As I exclusively wear Simms Fishing Products while fishing, I asked the company’s Northwest representative, Erick Neufield, what he suggested. He recommended I contact the guys at, as they have the perfect solution while wearing waders.

I spoke with Woody Dixon, their sales and marketing manager who is also an avid high-lakes fisherman. Together, he and company owner and combat veteran Adam Harris developed the Kenai Chest Holster. The name alone lets you know it’s for us anglers. The holster itself is made from Kydex, with each holster molded specifically for each pistol it’s designed for. The company chose waterproof materials for those situations where you’re out in weather all day (say, like winter steelheading).

It’s also made in the Northwest. I ordered one for my Walther PPS 9mm and couldn’t be happier. The fit is exact and it’s extremely comfortable, almost as if it was molded to my body. A pouch is also available for a spare magazine close at hand. I’ve never been more confident and comfortable while packing. Should the situation ever occur, I can draw my weapon and know that it’s all lined up. I also ordered a Ronin holster for those times when I pack while not fishing.

I’ve never seen such quality and craftsmanship in a holster that is designed with sportsmen in mind.

IS PACKING FOR everyone? Probably not. You must make that choice. Given the circumstances of your life being threatened, are you willing to take the life of another? Only you can make that choice, and you will have to live with the consequences. Every time I pack, I make a conscious decision about whether or not I’m capable of taking a life to save my own.

This is not about machismo, threats or tactics to ward others away from a fishing hole. This is about life and death – yours. AmSJ

Editor’s note: This article originally appeared in the January 2016 issue of Northwest Sportsman
by Terry J Wiest, Steelhead University
submit to reddit

Pocket Knife Saves Man in Grizzly Bear Attack

Straight up from NewsWeek –

‘Colin Dowler ended up in a Life-or-Death Struggle with a Grizzly Bear in B.C.’

A Canadian man from Dowler, British Columbia survived a brutal grizzly bear attack by stabbing the animal in the neck with a 2-inch pocket knife, according to reports.

Colin Dowler, 45, was mountain biking in the remote back country of British Columbia outside of the city of Power River on July 29 when he spotted a large male grizzly.

Dowler stopped about 100 feet away from the bear in order to decide what he should do next—stay still, ride past the bear, or cycle in the opposite direction. Dowler stated, “he wasn’t really sure what to do about the situation,” “I largely stood there, and let the grizzly keep walking up towards me.”

As the bear approached him, Dowler—now becoming more nervous—tried to stay as still as possible so as not to provoke the bear. When the bear was too close for comfort, Dowler tried to nudge him away with a hiking pole, BBC reported. A brief tug-of-war ensued before Dowler threw his bike at the animal, the report said.

However, the bear began swatting at him with its paws. Eventually, Dowler threw the bike at the animal in another attempt to make it leave. The bear then grabbed Dowler by the stomach and dragged him to a ditch about 50 feet away. Dowler said he tried to play dead as the animal bit into his arm, foot, and thigh.

“It was so much pain and weirdness, I could feel the hot blood,” he told the BBC. “I’m being rag-dolled, suspended by my flank by a bear carrying me.”

The bear then dragged him to a ditch around 50 feet away and began biting into his arm, foot and thighs. In an attempt to free himself, Dowler tried gouging the bear’s eyes and playing dead but neither seemed to work.

“It sounded like it was grating my bones up,” Dowler told CBC.
Then Dowler remembered that he had a small pocket knife in the pocket of his pants.

“Somehow, I don’t know how I did it. I used both hands to pull underneath the bear to get to that knife, and I grabbed the knife out and opened it and put it in [my] hand and stabbed the bear in his neck,” he said.

“It let go of me immediately. It was bleeding quite badly. I wasn’t really sure if it was dying faster than I was,” he said.

The bear backed off slightly and Dowler then cut off one his shirt sleeves to use as a tourniquet on his injured leg. He then managed to clamber onto his bike and cycle away down the logging road.

“I was thinking I’m not going to make it,” he said. “It was pretty freaking scary.”

After about 4 and a half miles he passed a worksite where he collapsed and called for help. Five workers rushed to his help and administered first aid.

“They just went to work, doing their best to save my life,” he told the BBC. “They’re truly the heroes of the story because there’s no way I would have made it without [them].”

Vittorio Giannandrea, one of the five men who attended to Dowler at Ramsey Arm worksite, said that when they saw him initially, they were “shocked and unnerved.”

“Then we began talking to him, cutting off the clothing on the apparent wounds where blood soaked through everything and just used as many hands, large bandages and other materials to stop the bleeding and cover the wounds,” Giannandrea told CBC.

The workers then called an air ambulance which took him to a hospital in Vancouver where he is now recovering.

Officers from the British Columbia Conservation Officer Service subsequently tracked the bear down following the attack and euthanized it.

British Columbia is home to around 15,000 grizzly bears, as well as some 120,000-150,000 black bears.

However, unprovoked bear attacks are extremely rare, in large part because the animals usually like to avoid contact with humans.

Nevertheless, the province of British Columbia provides the following advice if you do encounter a bear in backcountry:

-Stay calm: If the bear sees you, talk in a low, calm voice and then regardless if it has seen you or not.
-Back up slowly: Never turn your back on a bear, or run. Running could trigger an attack.
-Do not stare: The bear will see a direct stare as a challenge.
-Give it space: Make sure it has a way to get away, and that you are not blocking access to a bear’s cubs or its food.
-If a bear approaches you or charges: Do not run!
-Use your bear spray as it approaches

If you are being attacked, you have two options: Play dead or fight back.

Defensive attack: “Usually, bears charge or attack because they are feeling threatened. Use your bear spray. If you don’t have bear spray and the bear makes contact with you—roll on your stomach, cover the back of your neck, remain still and play dead, they will lose interest and leave. Do NOT run!”

Predatory attack: “In rare cases, a bear may see a human as prey and stalk you along a trail. In these cases, try to escape into a building, car or up a tree. If you cannot escape and the bear charges, use your bear spray, lacking that, use anything at your disposal to fight off the bear (rocks, sticks, hiking poles).”

by Aristos Georgiou

Jeff Cooper

The Godfather Of Gun Training

I have never taken a class at the Gunsite Academy and I don’t claim to know Jeff Cooper. I do know that he saved my life, and if you carry a gun for a living, at some point he is going to save yours too. In order to digest this sweeping statement you have to understand how things were before Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper, USMC (retired/deceased), developed the “modern techniques” of small arms training and opened the Gunsite Training Academy in Paulden, Ariz.

THE FIRST FIREARM that I carried was a Marine Corpsissue .45-caliber pistol. The date: December 1983; the place: Beirut, Lebanon; and the mission: determine the source and nature of a serious food-borne illness that had started ashore. I was a navy corpsman, a medical laboratory technician, coming off the USS Guam to assist the environmental medical team in isolating an outbreak of salmonella paratyphoid. This disease is a mankiller and the mission was very important, but as far as pistols go, I was completely untrained. A fellow corpsman, who was assigned to the Marine helicopter squadron operating off the coast of Guam, had given me the pistol.

He taught us how to think

I have no idea where he got the firearm; he simply pulled it out of his tiny locker located in the shared overflow berthing compartment. He handed it to me with the warning, “Whatever happens, for god’s sake, don’t load it because the Marines ashore would go crazy if they caught you with a loaded weapon.”

Check out these Cool Gun Safes Click HERE
to Check it out.

On Oct. 23 of that year, a suicide bomber had driven a large truck filled with the equivalent of 21,000 pounds of TNT through the base perimeter and detonated the explosives on the side of the building that the Marines were using for their headquarters and barracks. One of the details from that tragedy that I have never forgotten was how the truck driver made it past the Marine sentries at the entrance gate. As the driver approached the gate without slowing down, the Marines recognized him as a threat, but did not fire their weapons because they were unloaded. They were unloaded because that was the default standard operating procedure of the day. Conventional wisdom at that time was that a loaded weapon equaled accidental discharges, which in turn injured Marines.

THE SENTRIES probably had a loaded magazine sitting right below an empty chamber. That is now called a “Condition 3” firearm, but back then, conditions were not taught to Marines or anyone else. They could have done a “type one” malfunction drill to put their rifles into action, but in those days, the importance of muscle memory or type-one malfunction drills were simply not taught. The mechanical skills and combat mindset required to react instinctively to an existential threat would not become ingrained in the Marine Corps or anywhere else until Cooper made these concepts fundamental to professional firearms training.

Without this knowledge, the sentries acted on instinct and in an attempt to save his fellow Marines, one of them threw himself in front of the truck. He became the first of 241 Marines to die that night.

FOUR YEARS LATER, I arrived at Camp Pendleton, Calif., as a second lieutenant who had just graduated from the Infantry Officer Course and was slated to take charge of a rifle platoon in the 1st Battalion, 9th Marines. The assignment was pure luck. The battalion was scheduled to be the Ground Combat Element of the very first Marine Expeditionary Unit, Special Operations Capable. That meant we were slated to do a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific aboard the ships of an Amphibious Ready Group instead of doing a six-month rotation with the 3rd Marine Division on Okinawa. That was a good deal and being the first SOC Battalion Landing Team meant that we were conducting all sorts of new and high-speed training with “fast” ropes and “rigid-raiding” craft. We were also alotted all the training ammunition a young lieutenant could ask for.

Unfortunately, we had no clear understanding of what to do with all of the extra small-arms ammunition. Every infantry battalion in the Marine Corps conducted an annual training rotation in Twentynine Palms, Calif. This was a month-long, Combined Arms training eXercise, or CAX, that included multiple sequences of live-fire assaults.

This is where infantry battalions burned up most of their annual training ammunition allocation; we had hundreds of thousands of rounds more than those guys. The extensive entry-level training required one to pass the qualification course with both the rifle and pistol. Anyone who has read Cooper’s doctrine knows, a rifle and pistol qualification isn’t combat training. It means that you are ready to start combat training. At the time, that concept was largely alien in both military and law enforcement circles. Tactical training was, doctrinally, the responsibility of the Fleet Marine Force, but up until 1988, they too had zero training to offer on the tactical employment of small arms.

IT ALL CHANGED when a bright 1st Marine Division staff officer developed a plan to address the evident training short fall. We received word of this when we returned from our first six-month shipboard deployment and our battalion was ordered to surrender our best sergeants to division schools. When an infantry battalion returns from a deployment it can anticipate losing hundreds of Marines in what was then known as the Fleet Assistance Program.

These Marines would augment the military police, base services, rifle range and many other facilities. The FAP was one of the many cost-saving programs used by the legendarily stingy Marine Corps to get the most bang out of its manpower buck. The standard operating procedure for units facing the FAP crunch was to hold back their talent in order to train the replacements who would be pouring in for the next deployment.

The courses we steered our sergeants towards were called the combat-rifle and combat-pistol instructor courses. Three of my acting squad leaders (all corporals) scored seats to these courses. We knew nothing about them except that the ammuntion requirement was 2,000 rounds per man per course; this hinted that they might be worth attending. The corporals were nervous about the pistol course because that was not a firearm they had ever qualified with.

I wasn’t in good shape either, having only qualified with the Colt 1911 in Quantico. Here, we were running 9mm Berettas, and I had never fired one. I remember walking into the classroom where we ended up spending very little time, and seeing posters with the four rules of weapons safety and color codes of mental awareness. I knew then that these two courses would be worth some investment of time and ammunition. I was wrong; the training we received there was worth its weight in gold!

THE SERGEANTS instructing these courses were beyond impressive – they were confident, knew the material and experts in weapons handling, tactical shooting and positive reinforcement. They taught us the syllabus that was doctrine for the famous Gunsite Academy founded by Cooper in 1976. Word for word, drill by drill, they taught us well. Cooper and his team had trained these Marines to perfection and then he had allowed his class outlines and drills to be used without any compensation for what was then and is now, extraordinarily valuable intellectual property.

The impact this training had on our Marines was impossible to quantify. We made it a priority to teach these techniques, tactics and procedures to the new Marines joining the company. The new lieutenants and staff sergeants we received for the next deployment cycle also attended the courses. Everyone who encountered Marines from our regiment noted straight trigger fingers and professional weapon handling skills. They sensed that they were observing men who considered the fundamentals of combat shooting to be the very foundation of the profession of arms.
OUR SECOND MEU (SOC) training cycle was markedly different from the first. We crammed as much live-fire training into our schedule as possible, using Gunsite-designed line drills and simulators. It was intense. The Marines loved it. Our rotation through Twentynine Palms was a smashing success; the squads, platoons and rifle companies ran through the live fire and movement range progressions with ease.

I remember one of the coyotes (officers assigned to supervise and run the CAX) telling me that there was a noticeable difference between battalions coming from Camp Pendleton and those that were based at Camp Lejune or Hawaii. He added that they knew it was due to “those shooting courses you guys are teaching” at the division schools. In time, Cooper’s modern technique of small arms training would spread to every corner of America. The military, police and federal law enforcement use it to this day, and there are hundreds of schools across America that teach it to students who want to be responsible for their own safety and need to learn how.

I’M A HISTORY BUFF with a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the Vietnam War. I’ve studied thousands of photographs from that conflict; my father and two of my uncles fought there and have shared many stories about their time working the Leatherneck Square, Rockpile and the infamous Arizona territory. Look at photos of Marines or soldiers fighting in Vietnam and compare them with photographs from Afghanistan or Iraq today and you can see for yourself that the way grunts used to handle their weapons is completely different from how they handle them now.

Jeff Cooper single handedly did that, and without fanfare or self promotion. He did much more too; he taught us how to think. I spent eight years in Afghanistan, all of it outside the wire embedded in various Afghan communities. During that time I was given the opportunity to design reconstruction projects in the contested provinces of Nangarhar, Kunar, Nimroz and the Hellmand. We did not take the normal approach used by traditional security contractors. We did not have armored SUVs or heavily reinforced compounds. We moved in local vehicles, wearing local clothes and were responsible for our own security, a position advocated by Cooper repeatedly in his insightful lessons.

We used what my good friend and former Gunsite instructor John “Mullah” Binns called the Jeff Cooper El Salvador option for securing our compounds. We had exterior guards, but they were only armed with sawed-off shotguns. Their job was to fire them and run if we were attacked. The high-end military-grade ordinance was inside the compound with trained expats. We didn’t want to leave AK-47s or RPK machineguns outside of our buildings where they could be used against us if our minimal exterior security failed, which was likely to happen.

We didn’t put our 30-foot RPG screens on top of the compound walls either, like every other Western-aid implementer in the country. Our exterior walls looked exactly like every other compounds’ exterior walls. If you jumped over them, you landed on top of concertina wire; if you got through the concertina, you then had to get past the dogs; if you got past the dogs, you had to deal with us – and we knew what we were doing with the multiple weapon systems stored in our compounds. Many international compounds in Afghanistan were attacked by the Taliban over the years, but they never attacked one of ours, and I think that was, in part, due to our unique security posture, developed by Cooper.

Jeff Cooper and his team had trained these Marines to perfection

THE COMBAT MINDSET, color code of mental awareness and four rules of weapons safety were the foundation on which I based my security procedures in Afghanistan, and they served me well in some pretty tough situations. I survived eight years to return home relatively unscathed, and I am convinced that Jeff Cooper had much to do with that. If you carry a gun for living, you too are benefiting from the legacy of Lt. Col. Cooper. It is impossible to calculate the number of marines, soldiers, SEALs, police officers as well as trained civilians who are alive today thanks to the modernization of gun handling and combat marksmanship that was developed, refined and introduced to America by this lion of a man. He should never be forgotten as long as free men roam this world with the rights and ability to defend themselves against those who would victimize them through criminality or tyranny. ASJ


Man Kills Mountain Lion with his Hands

This Colorado man fought an Attacking Mountain Lion with his bare hands (Foot) and survived!

The 31-year-old runner told reporters that he ran up a nature trail earlier this month near Fort Collins and made his way to the top to take in the sights.
But on his way down, he said, he ran into some ice on the trail, so he took a detour and hopped on West Ridge Trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, a 2,700-acre park known for its hiking, biking and horseback riding trails.
Moments later, he said, he heard pine needles rustle behind him. Then a stick snapped. “I turned around and was just pretty bummed out to see a mountain lion chasing after me,” Kauffman said Thursday during a news conference.

Officials with Colorado Parks and Wildlife said earlier this month that Kauffman had been mauled by a “juvenile” mountain lion as he was running February 4 on the West Ridge Trail.
Officials had not publicly identified Kauffman at that time but said that he had fought free from the lion, managing to suffocate the young animal in self-defense.
Kauffman appeared at a news conference Thursday to tell it in his own words.
“Hey, everybody,” he greeted the reporters in the room. “Just a show of hands – who all is disappointed that I’m not, in fact, Chuck Norris?”
The runner recounted the terrifying moment the mountain lion lunged at him.
“I stopped, and I threw my hands up in the air, and I started shouting,” he told reporters, adding that he was not able to deter the animal. “So it just kind of kept running and lunged at me.”
Kauffman said the lion lunged toward his face, so he threw up his fists for protection. But, he said, it did not work; the animal grabbed onto his hand and his wrist, then started to claw his face and neck, stabbing one claw through his lip.
“That’s when my fear response turned into more of a fight response,” he said.
He said he tried to throw the animal off himself, causing the two to take “a little tumble down the south side of the trail,” where they had a “wrestling match”. He said he climbed on top of the animal and was then able to “pin its back legs.”

At the same time, he said, he was grasping at sticks that were on the ground.
“I only had my left hand free; my right hand was still locked in its jaws. I tried to get at its neck to see if I could stab it in the neck to get it to release,” he said. “That wasn’t working – the sticks were breaking.”
He grabbed a rock – one so heavy that “it was kind of hard to wield,” he said.
“I tried to give it a few bashes in the back of the head,” he said. “Unfortunately, I just had a tough time swinging it with my arm still locked into the cat’s jaws.”

During his fight for survival, Kauffman said he could feel the lion’s tooth inside his hand – pressing on nerves and making his fingers feel “electric.” He said he could also feel its jaws grinding around his wrist and he could hear ligaments and tendons “shifting” in his arm.
Kauffman said that he knew he needed to do something drastic, explaining that he tried to shift his weight so that he could get his foot on the animal’s throat.
“I stepped on it, on its neck with my right foot,” Kauffman said, noting that each time he thought the animal was about to give up, “it’d start thrashing again.”
But eventually, the animal stopped moving.
“Then, jaws opened – and I was able to kind of scramble back up the hill and get the heck out of Dodge,” he said.
Following the incident, Colorado Governor Jared Polis released tips for surviving mountain lion attacks – as well as important advice for the big cats.
  • “Most of the attacks were by young lions, perhaps forced out to hunt on their own and not yet living in established areas. Young lions may key in on easy prey, like pets and small children,” the agency said.
  • Colorado Parks and Wildlife urges people to travel in groups when visiting lion country and to never approach a mountain lion in the wild.
  • If a camper, hiker or runner is confronted by a mountain lion, he or she is advised to “stay calm,” “stop or back away slowly” and “do all you can to appear larger,” such as raising your arms or opening your coat. Never run, crouch down or turn your back on the animal.
  • “Fight back if a lion attacks you,” the agency noted on its website. “Lions have been driven away by prey that fights back. People have fought back with rocks, sticks, caps or jackets, garden tools and their bare hands successfully. Remain standing or try to get back up!”
More than a week after Kauffman survived the brutal mountain lion attack – thrusting him into a national spotlight and earning praise from wildlife authorities for doing what he needed to do to make it out alive – he said Thursday the attention has been “pretty weird.”
“It’s kind of weird to feel kind of famous for an unearned reason,” Kauffman told reporters. “It’s very much like a situation of happenstance.”

This story was originally published by The Washington Post.

Unethical Shooter Shoots at Boars

From a Moving Boat

This video from out in the wild internet shows a person blasting away at an entire group of boars with a pistol from a moving boat.
Even with the problem of wild hogs and boars here in the U.S., there are better ways to rid of the them.
This is just crazy on so many levels, starting with the fact that one guy hands his ‘buddy’ a loaded handgun, and then the shooter unloads on the animals. They all looking like they were on a joy ride than on a hunt.

This video was purportedly taken somewhere in South America. This is one of those video that gives the anti-hunters ammo to fire at us hunters.
I think most hunters would have set up at a likely spot for those boars to come out from the swim then blast away. What about the waste of all that meat?
What do you all think, would you do this?

Getting Shot

Whats it like?

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to get shot? People in the military and others who were unfortunate to experience this ordeal have describe their personal experiences of what it feels like when a bullet hits them, and how they ultimately survived. They know what it’s like to get shot, and the incredible amount of physical and emotional pain that accompanies a bullet wound. They unfortunately found themselves at the wrong end of a gun, and not only survived their brush with death, but were fortunate enough to tell others about their experience.

Based on these accounts, people have different experiences of how it feels to get shot. Some felt as little as a slight bee sting, and others felt the worst pain they had ever experienced. There seems to be no way to gauge how one’s body will react to a bullet, but the majority of these experiences suggest it will be extremely painful. Check out these first-hand accounts of getting shot by a gun to learn how it feels to survive a bullet wound.

What happens to your body when you get shot?

Here’s a semi-physiological answer. For starters, when a bullet enters your body, your flesh absorbs a great deal of the momentum the bullet was carrying. A 9mm bullet, which is typically fired from handguns used for self-defense and by police, travels at a speed of about 900 mph. All that momentum has to go somewhere, the bullet transfers it to your body, causing it to expand and create a large cavity, then falling back in on itself. That tremor can cause serious damage to your organs and tissues, even if the bullet doesn’t actually hit them.

After the bullet tears into your flesh, fate rolls the dice. It’s possible to survive being shot, multiple times even, but it largely comes down to the path those bullets take. Connor Narciso, former combat medic and Army Green Beret who served in Afghanistan, says don’t let movies and TV fool you. A single gunshot in the arm or leg is more than enough to kill you if you’re unlucky.

The following excerpts are people that have experienced getting shot and survived:

  • Felt Like A Wasp Stinger Was Pushed Into My Skin
    CZulu: “Got shot in the calf with a .22 LR while landscaping about a decade ago. It just felt like a push-pinch, like if someone pushed a wasp stinger into my skin and since I was using a weed whacker at the time, I thought it had picked something up and thrown it against my leg. It went numb, and when I looked at the wound, it was bleeding way too much to be from random debris. It really only hurt after I started f*cking with it to stop the bleeding. If you get shot, don’t look at the wound if at all possible.
    The shooter was a German foreign exchange student with surprisingly bad muzzle awareness, trigger safety, et cetera, but since the damage was minor, we all laughed it off. Honestly, it didn’t hurt that bad. Hopefully, being shot by a smaller caliber has helped me build my immunity up towards larger bullets.”
  • Felt Like A Punch
    sidneywidney: “My brother used to promote parties and hang around with questionable people. My parents knew there was basically nothing they could do to prevent him from going out since he was already in his twenties, so my dad got him a vest. My mom thought my dad was being ridiculous. Just a couple of months later, […] on the night before Mother’s Day, he was shot point-blank in the back with a .38 hollow point. My brother said it felt like he was punched in the back. Those vest really do save lives…”
  • Felt Like A Sudden Impact Of No Sensation, Then There Was A Horrible Burning Sensation
    Tia_Jamon: “Surprisingly painless compared to what you might expect. I’m not one of those, ‘I didn’t even realize I was shot’ people, though I can definitely understand where they’re coming from. The very first thing I felt can only be described as a sudden impact of no sensation. I felt numbness wash over the area. If I had not realized I was about to be shot shortly before I was, I could see how I could have easily have been too distracted to notice this immediate response.
    That feeling then gave way to a horrible burning sensation. It’s a very ‘hot’ pain. It feels the way a very flushed face or a blister feels, but intense and painful. After a little time passes, the area around it has this very unexpected achy pain that feels more like what you would expect from being hit with a bat than being shot. And yet I wouldn’t know how I would even rank it in terms of how painful it actually was. The feeling of being shot was seamlessly paired with the adrenaline and wooziness of having REALIZED I was shot and the knowledge that I really couldn’t afford to get shot again. The three intermingled and alternately masked and intensified each other.
    For a few moments, I’d totally forget I had been shot, only for my attention to come back to myself in a lot of pain. I’ve never had to describe it before – my words seem so inadequate. It’s a very bizarre series of sensations that I imagine is almost never experienced by people in an otherwise clear state of mind. I really cannot understate the significance of the psychological impact it had on me in the moment, which totally distorted my processing of physical sensation.”
  • Felt Like Nothing
    Gangrel13: “I got shot in the foot about two years ago with a .45. Went in one side and out the other, pulverized some of the bone, too. There was no pain at all. Only knew I was shot because of all the blood. At the hospital about a half hour later, it started to hurt a little. Doctor was surprised that I only rated the pain as a four out of 10. It hurt a fair bit in the days and weeks after, but never intolerably.”
  • Felt Like A Weird Wave Of Feeling Hot And Wet
    Jigur0: “About four years ago, I was struck by four rounds from machine gun fire. One actually skipped off my body armor, right into my left bicep. Honestly did not feel pain when I got hit, just this weird wave of feeling hot and wet on my left side. The pain definitely came […] once a tourniquet was applied.”
  • Felt Like A Baseball Bat Him Me, But There Was No Pain
    Ktojongolt: “I was shot with AK-47 to the leg. Felt like a baseball bat hit me, but with no pain. This was followed by a buzzing feeling for five to ten seconds, then the severe achy pain set in. Once I got back, I was diagnosed with a spiral fracture. Less painful than I thought it would be, but it was still up there!”
  • Felt Like My Leg was Heavy And Wet, But Getting Shot Didn’t Hurt
    secondhand_organs: “I took a bullet in the *ss cheek that did some kind of parabolic arc and exited out of the back of my thigh. I didn’t feel the impact, but wondered why my leg felt heavy and wet (I was on a bicycle at the time).
    Getting shot itself didn’t hurt, but getting treated for it did. The finger in the a** at the hospital didn’t help much.”
  • Felt Like Absolute Agony
    jnips: “I got shot through the thigh with a .45, [and] it burned like a motherf*cker. The bullet went through the bone completely and the tendons pulled everything out of place. That leg was about four inches shorter than the other. Trying to move it was absolute agony – I was praying to pass out, but never did.”
  • Felt Like I Was Slapped Or Punched In The Face
    Zoklett: “We were sitting on my front steps when the gun fight broke out. We stood up to run inside and I never even heard the gun go off. It just felt like someone punched me or slapped me really hard in the face and I fell off the steps and crawled (quickly) inside. When I got inside, my friend was screaming that I’d been shot but I didn’t feel anything really until I looked in the mirror and saw I was bleeding from a burn that went from my cheek THROUGH the top of my ear. I didn’t really feel anything, to be honest. Just stinging and ringing ears. The burn lasted FOR MONTHS. […] I became famous in school as the tough girl who almost got shot in the face.”
  • Felt Like A Really Weird Bee Sting
    eradicATErs: “I was shot in left foot when I was seventeen. At first, I thought it was a bee sting because it sounded like bees flying by. Two seconds later, I realized something was wrong. The bee noises were bullets flying by. It felt like a hot fire poker along the path of the bullet. We were camping and like an hour and a half [from] a hospital. The burning lasted the entire time until morphine got in. Was in a walking boot [cast] for months due to tendon and nerve damage. No bones were damaged, but my foot is still numb on top due to nerve damage and it always hurts. I always feel it and if anything hits the entry or exit points or the scar from surgery to remove bullet fragments, it send weird tingles up my leg. Definitely changed my life.”
  • Felt Like My Hand Was Slammed Between A Textbook And A Desk
    Cowboychimps: “My right hand got clipped by a .223 ricochet while shooting targets on a friend’s property. Initially felt like my had got slammed between a large math textbook and a wooden desk followed by an intense burning sensation. I will say that after the impact, I didn’t immediately think much of the injury. I checked that my firearm was still functioning and didn’t stop firing until I felt the blood dripping down my arm.”
  • Felt Like A Tight Pressure On My Arm, But There Was No Pain
    BBBBrendan: “Shot in the arm when I was young, when I got caught in the middle of a drive-by shooting.

    You know in the movies where a gun goes off and there’s a sudden look of shock on the victim’s face before he looks at the wound? That’s very accurate. I did not feel any pain or anything. I heard the gunshot and felt a tight pressure in my arm. I looked and saw the wound and how much blood I was losing, and the next thing I know I’m in the hospital.”

  • Felt Like Being Continuously Poked By Something Sharp – But Pushing, Not Stabbing
    Transam96: “It’s a bit of [a] burning sensation mainly. The quick pierce into your body hurts like hell. Best way I can describe it is that it feels like being continuously poked as if someone is holding multiple sharp pricks to you and pushing in, but not stabbing.

    Painful as sh*t, but it’s not an ungodly amount of pain to where you can’t even cope with it if it’s in an area of non-importance in your body, such as [the] arm or shoulder.”

  • Felt Like Something Blasted Into Me And Was Very Noisy
    Idiputchko: “I didn’t even really know I was shot. I felt the blast and the noise and didn’t realize until liquid was gushing onto my chest. Since I was shot in the head/face, I was worried about brain damage and kept doing multiplication in my head. It really wasn’t too bad. I was lucky and it did not affect my hearing or sight. I only have a small circular scar that kind of looks like a dimple.”

Sources: Reddit,, Steffanie Hammond