Here’s how to take apart the AR-15:
- Safety is paramount, be sure that the AR is on safe and check the ejection port is clear from obstruction and ride the bolt forward.
- Slide the take down pin out near the rear of the lower receiver until it is sticking all the way out of the right side of the receiver.
- Rotate the upper receiver forward and lift it free of the lower receiver.
- Slide the bolt carrier group free from the upper receiver. The charging handle will slip right out as well.
- Remove the buffer tube and spring from the buttstock
I remember learning how to take down my AR-15 back in boot camp, but back then it was the M-16A1. (not giving away my age) Giving clear instructions was a priority for the instructors as they had to process over hundreds of us new recruits per week basis.
I realize many of you folks know how to do this, but there is a small percentage out there that don’t know how to do this. This is the brief instructions on taking aprt your AR, which is the same for the predecessors M-16 A series.
For the complete disassembling of all parts on the AR’s (M-16) for cleaning and function check, see the sources below.
ARMY TIM 9-1005-249-23