Want a new AR, but can’t afford it? No problem. Just collect soda cans and make one.
Everybody loves getting new guns. Unfortunately for some of us, they are just aren’t in the budget. If you don’t have the cash for a new AR, you can always just start collecting soda cans. No, you don’t sell the cans; you melt them down and make your own AR.
This guy is dedicated and pays attention to detail. After all the time and effort put into making an AR out of aluminum cans, you could probably buy one several times over, but what’s the challenge in that?
This may not be for the average do-it-yourself hobbyist. But hey, if you have the machine tools and a whole lot of extra time on your hands, give it a try.
Here are some FAQ:
- How long did it take? I estimate it took 30-40 hours over a 2 month period to build.
- Why not buy an 80% lower? This was all about the challenge and learning more metalworking skills. I wasn’t going for easy or fast. I had a blast making this!
- Is it legal? Yes, it is legal to build a gun for personal use without a license or permit.
- Will you sell it or make me one? NO! I do not have a permit to sell guns. Period.
- Don’t you know it’s not safe to shoot at water? Not true. Bullets may ricochet off of water, just like they could off of steel, stone, or other hard surfaces. As long as you are aware of that fact and make sure the shot is safe even if it ricochets, then it’s fine.
- Do you have any idea where those bullets are going that you shoot at the water? Yes, into the hill that rises 30 feet up behind it. The video may be deceiving, but there is more than enough of a backstop there.
- Aren’t you worried about lead in the water? No. Bullets contain elemental lead which is extremely stable and won’t leach into the water. If the bullets were on the ground anywhere in the collection area of the pond every time it rains it would be the same effect as the bullet being in the pond due to run-off. Also, fishing tackle and sinkers are often made of lead as well.
- Do you have to put a serial number on it? No, it’s not required by law.
I just hope the anti-gun nuts don’t find this video and try to place a five-day waiting period on sodas!
Source: FarmCraft 101, Jared Langenegger
Posted in Just Plinking Tagged with: Coca-Cola AR lower